DIDYMUS DICTA

DAILY MEDITATIONS ON THE PSALMS

My Photo
Name:

Each morning I spend 30 minutes, more or less, researching and writing on a passage of scripture. This is principally a form of spiritual self-discipline. But comments and questions are welcome.

Friday, September 08, 2006



Love the Lord, all you his saints. The Lord preserves the faithful, but abundantly repays the one who acts haughtily. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord. (Psalm 31: 23-24)

Today the lectionary pairs one of my favoritie psalms (Psalm 31) with a psalm I am inclined to reject out of hand (Psalm 35). Both are thought to have been written by King David.

In each case the author is in trouble. In Psalm 31 he reaches out to God. "Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me."

In Psalm 35 the author calls down God on his enemies. "Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me!"

My God is also our God. We sometimes forget this. A personal relationship with God is a great gift. But it should not be misunderstood or - even worse - misused.

Thank you God for strength, courage, and the chance to create. Teach me to love you with my whole heart and to live out your love for all creation.

Above is an untitled work by Hans Hofmann.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home